Monday, 9 April 2012

HAPPY EASTER!!!

Hey guys, I hope you're all enjoying your Easter break.

I know I'm a day late, but I had a hectic day with family yesterday and by the time I got back from my mum's it was late, and I wanted to go to bed.

Over the last week, I have been busy making Easter gifts for my family.  As I can't afford large expensive eggs, I decided to get everyone a small egg, but I wanted to make a crochet egg cosy to put them in.  It took me a  while to find a pattern I was happy with, but eventually, this is what I made:


These cute little chicks have been designed by Nicki Trench (a very talented crochet designer) and were featured last year in the very first edition of Craftseller magazine.  I have decided to share the pattern.  If you decided to make them, please be sure to give credit where credit is due :)


Note -- this pattern uses UK terminology!

Easter Chick Egg Cosy

Materials:
  • Small amounts of DK yarn in various colours (I've used mint green, pale blue, yellow and pink).  For the comb, you will need red yarn
  • 3.5mm (E) hook
  • Red card (to make beaks)
  • 10mm wiggle eyes
  • Yarn needle
  • Red sewing thread

Chick:
  • Make 2 ch
  • R1:  6dc in 2nd ch from hook
  • R2:  2dc in next dc (x6) [12sts]
  • R3:  2dc in next dc (x12) [24sts]
  • R4-10:  1dc in each dc around [24sts]
  • R11:  1dc in next dc, dc2tog over next 2dc (x8) [16sts]
  • Fasten off

Comb:
  • With red yarn, make 8 ch
  • R1:  1dc in 4th ch from hook, *3ch, 1dc in next ch* (*x2), 2ch, miss 1ch, 1dc into last ch
  • Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing

Making Up:
  • Sew comb to top of egg (I used a dressmaking pin to hold in place whilst doing this)
  • Attach the wiggle eyes to front of egg
  • Cut a small diamond shape with the card for beak.  Fold in two, and along fold, use a pin to pierce two holes in card and sew this to the front of the egg.

Note -- you can use felt for the beak, if you prefer!

Before long, you can make your own army of egg cosies:


*FAINTS*

They're just the right size to fit a standard hen's egg and/or a small chocolate egg!!!


Now you can make up fabby little gift boxes to give to your family and friends:


*AWWWW*


So that's enough Easter cuteness for today :)  Tomorrow, I should have some more!!!


Till then ... Keep Kalm and Cross-stitch! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment