Saturday, 23 April 2011

** NEW BLACKWORK PROJECT ** Gatchacaz's Unown Sampler 2011


Hello again!

So it's time for another work in progress, but first, I should probably welcome more new followers that I've picked up over the last few weeks -- Welcome indeed, I hope you enjoy reading about my stitchy antics!

And now let's get down to business!!!

Last month, to celebrate the release of Pokemon Black and White, I posted patterns for the Unowns.

I was planning to use them as part of a Pokemon design I was working on -- which sadly I had to abandon because the design would have been HUGE!!!  However, I thought they'd make a good idea for a sampler.

As always, I wanted to do something in blackwork, and inspiration for the project came from a book that I had borrowed from my local library:


The book is an absolute gem as it gives a detailed history of all the different embroidery techniques featured, as well how to's and projects of varying difficulty to try yourself.  When I have the money I plan to buy it for myself!

I borrowed the book predominantely for the blackwork section as inspiration for another project that I hope to do at some point this year!  However, the lead page of the blackwork section shows the word "Blackwork", worked in blackwork, using a different fill in varying thread thickness for each letter:


I thought this was a great idea for a sampler.  So I decided to use my online name "Gatchacaz" and set about chosing different fills before charting the Unowns.

That was the easy part, although as I've said on many occassion before, charting in blackwork is very time consuming -- here is the finished chart:


The black lines represent two strands and the blue represents 1 strand.  The finished piece is being charted on 14-HPI rustico aida using DMC Colour variation #4210.

Here's what I've done to date:

Picture Reference date - 21.4.2011
Picture Reference date - 22.4.2011

It's proving really quick to stitch, and shouldn't take that long to complete, but my concern is that I will run out of thread as I don't think I have enough to complete the project.  I cannot buy more thread unless I put in an on-line order (which I can't afford to do at the moment), so this could well be a project that grinds to a halt in a few weeks time!

I'll post new updates over the coming weeks -- be sure to cross your fingers that my thread doesn't run out!!!

Till next time ... keep Kalm and Cross-stitch!!! xx


2 comments:

  1. It's quite annoying to run out of thread in the middle of a project! I hope you'll manage it somehow and will be waiting for the future updates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are pretty neat unknowns!! :)
    They look really sweet in blackwork!!

    ReplyDelete