For those
of you who follow Missy-Tannenbaum’s Dorkstitch blog, you’ll know that for the
past two years she’s been doing the "Sprite Stitch December". For those of you who don’t know what this is, she makes sprites of various Anime, video-game characters based around sprites from the old
Megadrive (Genesis) game, Phantasy Star II.
The series
has proved to be extremely popular, with the patterns continuing to be featured throughout the year. I myself have
downloaded some of the patterns, and if I ever get a break in my own stitching
schedule, I might have a go at some of the FFVII themed ones.
Anyway, as
I said, most of the patterns are mainly of Anime and video-game characters, but
occasionally, she features others characters, some obscure, other not so. One such pattern I was surprised to see was that of 60’s “boy-band” The Monkees! My
mum is a huge fan of the Monkees, as am I.
Although, I missed the 60’s by two years (I was born in 1972), I still
love a lot of music from that era!
After the rotten year my mum has had, I wanted to make a Christmas present for her. I hadn't decided what I was going to stitch until I saw Missy's pattern!!
This is what I did:
This is what I did:
I didn't want to do just the sprites themselves as I wanted to featured the band's logo, but I had to Google that because I couldn't remember what it looked like. My original plan had been a multi-colour look to represent the psychedelic nature of the late 60's, but I didn't like how it looked. I charted the logo by tracing the image and then charting on graph paper. Most of the logo's coming up on the Google search showed the logo in red, so I decided to stick with that!
The I re-charted Missy's sprites incorporating them with the logo and adding a 60's style border!
I framed the work myself:
It fits perfectly in a 10" x 12" frame I bought from my local photo store.
So did my mum like it?
Here's her reaction when she opened it on Christmas Day:
She was overwhelmed, and a bit teary, but she loved it to bits (although she hasn't decided where she wants to put it yet)!
So huge kudos to Missy for making the sprites and inspiring this project -- I had a lot of fun with this one, and Missy, if you're reading this ... please, please, please do some more pop-star themed ones! My favourite group is Duran Duran *hint, hint*
Before I sign off, if you want to have a go at stitching The Monkees yourselves, you can download the pattern from HERE.
If anyone would like the logo, let me know and I'll post the pattern on BOX.net.
Well that's me done blogging for today, time to sort out my threads for some new projects!
Till next time, Keep Kalm and Cross-stitch! xx

Aren't Missy's sprites just the best? :) I was recently working on a Trigun project for my brother, he asked me to do the Trigun logo and I was stumped. I have found very good pictures of the logo, but I have no graph paper and currently unemployed. I asked him if he wanted the pattern the way it is and he said no, that he would would for me to find a way to get the logo on there.
ReplyDeleteLol, the "Sprite Stitch december" makes you feel like it's Christmas all month long, right?! Great job on the Monkees project! I have to say I don't know them, but it seems I'll have to google and youtube them! After all, if they have such a cool logo, they ought ti be good. And actually, I found out that if something is stitched, then it's always worth watching/reading/listening. That's how I started watching Doctor Who and The Big Bang Theory. So I arrived at the conclusion - always trust the taste of your stitch buddies! XD
ReplyDeleteWow, that's so fantastic, and thank you so much for using the patterns! I love your band logo pattern and am really hoping there's enough demand for it to be posted! I'm already going to make the "Money Is The Root of All Evil" from their wall on the sitcom for my sister, and the logo would be fantastic, too- you charted and stitched it so perfectly! Also, I'll write Duran Duran down as a request, since real people are the most fun to make lately. I want to make the Spice Girls, too, so maybe there'll be a music themed week! XD Do you mind if I feature this project in my next features post?
ReplyDeleteAlso, congratulations on your sprite stitch interview! :D
I'm really pleased that you like what I did with your sprites. I think I'm going to post the pattern for the logo regardless, although if you want, I can send you the Pattern Maker file.
DeleteA music themed week would be cool -- I shall look forward to seeing how DD turn out, but if you need reference images, let me know, I have loads!
Also, you don't need to ask my permission to feature the Monkees, afterall, it's your pattern ^_____^ xx
All right, thank you! I'm writing the features post now, with my typical level of focus, so I really appreciate it! I'm hoping to work on more patterns later and this weekend, though, so I wanted to ask if there was any particular video or album cover on which you thought Duran Duran looked their spiffiest? Google image search turns up dozens upon dozens of photos, but there are so many options!
ReplyDeleteNo worries, the feature looks great!
DeleteNow you're asking! I tend to think Duran Duran looked best during the 80's when they were in their hey-day. Looking at album covers, they tend to have some really cool artwork instead of band images, but three of their first four albums have piccies of the band on - Duran Duran, Seven and the Ragged Tiger and Arena. Any of these looks would be cool!
Has the logo been posted? Because I'd love to make one of these. So creative!
ReplyDelete