Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Bloggy Updates and My Fascination With Amigurumi

Well, yet again it's been a whole week since my last post.  

I know that I've been quite tardy lately, but as you know stitching has been slow due to my wrist problems.  The wrist has been okay lately, but then I've been resting it over the weekend.

Suffice to say, I am now behind and getting a little frustrated because I've had nothing to post on here for the last few weeks in terms of work in progress etc...  I have to admit that my enthusiasm for Christmas projects has begun to wane, and I find myself wanting to pick up hook and yarn instead.

In fact, this is how I feel right now -- I am torn between finished my BIL's birthday card or doing some crochet!

I sense from the lack of comments I've had both on here and DA recently that some of you are not interested in my crochet, which is fine.  For me as an artist, I always want to try out new methods and techniques.  I can't remember why I wanted to take up crochet but I sense it was probably because I loved the little amigurumi dolls  that were all over the internet.

I bought magazines with freebie hooks and wool, and taught myself the basics through books and YouTube.

I have to confess, that my first attempts were not that good:

Freaky Eggs at Easter, 2009

However, at some point in either 2009/2010 I lost interest in the crochet (as with the cross-stitch), and I only took to it again recently.  With the help of my fiance's elderly aunt, I've learnt how to make a granny square and made myself a small blanket.

Feeling more confident with a hook, (and my partner says I've definitely improved), I decided to finish an amigurumi pattern I started some time ago too:


The pattern comes courtesy of "W0IfDreamer-OTH" and can be found HERE -- I'm really pleased how he turned out, but I think he needs a few friends to keep him company though!

Obviously, as with the cross-stitch, the goal would be to start designing my own amigurumi, and just recently I have been working on something, which I hope I can make into an amigurumi doll.

Well, I think that's all for me today -- hopefully I'll have something to post later in the week.

Till next time ... keep Kalm and cross-stitch! xx


4 comments:

  1. I like your crochet! The latest amigurumi is quite awesome (although I do enjoy your "Freaky Eggs" -- the face on the mohawk one makes me LOL). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute mushroom, crochet intreges me and i'm hoping to learn next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys like the crochet, I know this is predominantly a cross-stitch blog, but I like to post about my other crafts too.

    Crochet is a wonderful craft, once you get the hang of the basics it's very enjoyable -- and less frustrating when you go wrong too!!!

    @ Fiona -- good luck with the crochet, I hope you find it rewarding! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi-I'm the other person on facebook that commented on Dork Stitch's Duran Duran pattern. ^^ I like your amigurumi--I haven't tried yet. Sometimes it looks easy-ish--and other times, I think my head is going to explode when I see all the cute stuff that looks too hard for me. I've never been able to get that hang of knitting, despite my mother and both grandmothers trying to teach me when I was younger--but I might try that again someday. *Might*. I smiled at your comment about crochet--Granny squares I can make. For now, only one kind--but I like doing it. Both parents taught me the basics (my dad made roses for our cloche hats when me and my younger sister were younger). I'm finishing one for my older sister right now. My mom and I had started it before she passed away last year, and I gave it up when she was unable to finish. We made a few as gifts together. It's fun, and I don't want to forget how to do it. No one I know will ever freeze in winter. lol And do post about everything you make--even though your blog is mainly about cross-stitch--its *is* your blog, and it's not unrelated. Maybe someday you'll post a pic of the blanket you made?

    ReplyDelete