Saturday, 28 May 2011

Before Crisis Silhouette


A rather impromptu post this morning.  I know that some of you will have already seen this over on my deviantART page, but I wanted to give it a fetaure on here too.

People who watch me know that I love FFVII, and as the only game in the compilation I have not played is Before Crisis, I wanted to do something in cross-stitch.

My FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania is a good source of reference material, but in the end, I came across this wallpaper of the logo which I chose as the basis for my design:


I decided to crop the design though and just feature the characters torsos!

Another technique that has piqued my interest of late is the "Cameo" style which usually features a 'bust' in silhouette with blank background or a blank bust with a solid background.  Such a design is featured in the RSN's Essential Guide to Blackwork:


The only downside to this is that an oval border wasn't going to work with this design!  I tried quite a lot of different styles (including a ShinRa style diamond), before I decided to go with a square border!

So here is the completed project:


The blackwork fill I have chosen for this design is known as the 'interlocking Y' which I have stitched sideways in differing thicknesses - 2 strands on the inside and 1 strand on the outside.  When I was stitching this I was worried that the shading affect wasn't going to be that noticable, but actually, it's not that bad!

The project is worked on 14-HPI vintage cream aida. For the silhouette I have used Anchor shade #380 and the border is worked in DMC Colour variations shade #4130.

On and off, this took roughly two and a half months to complete -- the silhouette area took much longer than I expected to stitch.  In contrast, the blackwork areas only took about a week!

Be sure to check it out on deviantART too:

Well, that's me done for now.   Later this afternoon, I am going to a BBQ at my mums and then I am being forced to watch the Champions League Final between Manchester United and Barcelona *BOO*  I shall be sure to take my 3DS and stitching bag in case I get bored -- hahahahahahahaha!!!

Till next time ... Keep Kalm and Cross-stitch!! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment