Here we go with Part 2...
The next difficult task for me with this design was getting the right fabric.
Because the lighthouse is red and white, the plan was stitch the design on a blue fabric. When I went to “Stitch and Craft 2009” I purchased some blue evenweave fabric which I thought would ideal, but when I came to start stitching with it, the blue was far too pale for the white threads to show up!!! Because I've used shading in this design I needed a fabric that would show up the white well enough to see the effect.
I thought a solution was at hand as I had some blue aida in my workbox. It was darker than the blue evenweave, but sadly when I went to test the white against it, again, it wasn’t right.
Very frustrating!
As I had no other blue, I had to trawl the internet to find the shade I wanted. In the end, I took a gamble with a shade called “cadet blue” that I bought from Sew and So. It turned out to be perfect!
So with the right threads and the right colour fabric, I could now start stitching.
Here are some of the various stages of the design:
Stay tuned, Part 3 is coming right up!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment