Thursday, 3 September 2009

Beautiful Blackwork

Okay, I’m double posting here but I wanted to post this on here as well as on DA.

I’ve got a bit of a thing for blackwork at the moment, although I have to confess that I haven’t always liked it. Blackwork designs in books and magazines generally tend to be of flowers and twee lacy things, you know, the stuff your gran would do…LOL!!!! Of course, that all changed however, when my favourite magazine, Cross-Stitcher had a pattern in it of a blackwork butterfly. I really liked the unusual design and so decided to give it a go.

Here it is:



You can also view it here too, along with other designs I’ve stitched:
http://gatchacaz.deviantart.com/gallery/#_edit_Beautiful-Blackwork

For those who are unfamiliar with the technique, here is a little history lesson. It was popular in England during the 16th Century and was believed to have been introduced at Court by Henry VIII’s first wife Katherine of Aragon, although it may have its roots much earlier. It remained popular throughout the Tudor period especially during the reign of Elizabeth I.

The technique can be worked using either backstitch or double running stitch (Holbein Stitch). When worked in the latter, the design is reversible which is why it was so popular on shirt collars and cuffs.

Whilst it was popular in the 16th Century to stitch it in black thread on white linen (giving the technique it’s name), over the centuries the technique has developed and now it is not uncommon to use other colours – I like to use DMC’s Colour Variations on my designs!

If you fancy having a go at blackwork yourself, there are plenty of websites out there with info and fill patterns, but this is one of my favourites:

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/index.html

Be sure to check it out!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. The butterfly is really pretty, and thank you for the links as well! It's always really nifty to get new things to jam onto my favorites list. ^^

    ReplyDelete