The rain may have had something to do with that and we were
thankful not to have to listen to our annoying jock neighbours! That said, I still didn't sleep, as the rain
continued to pound against my tent, and someone was listening to a mixture of
Muse, Slipknot and Guns and Roses.
It was still raining when we got up that morning. No one was keen to get the hexi-burner going
so I didn't get my brew. I had a can of
coke instead.
Everything from yesterday was still soaked. My raincoat and rucksack were still dripping
rain water onto the floor of my tent and were in no fit state to be used
again! The inside of my walking boots
were wet, but that was because I'd not worn my over-trousers the day before.
Even my camera had given up the ghost thanks to the previous
nights soaking so that would be staying in the tent for the rest of the
weekend. It was just as well that I'd
bought a new memory stick for my phone, which had survived a soaking and would
now be my only means of taking photos and videos!
A friend of mine had brought me a jug for peeing into (I
called it my piss-pot). She thought it
was a shewee, and although it was far too large for lugging round the arena
with, it certain came in useful in the tent!
With the campsite now much busier, and long queues for the portaloos, it
certainly was a god-send to use!
Disposing of the contents was not so much fun, but the grass outside my
tent was wet already, so hey-ho!!!
After donning the waterproofs, including over-trousers and a
fetching RAF poncho, we headed off to the arena for our second day of
music. My new boots had given me the
compulsory blister, but thankfully I had brought plasters and I was wearing two
pairs of socks so not only were my toes protected, my feet were warm and dry
too!
We wanted to get into the arena to watch a band on the Zippo
stage at 1.30pm called "Apocalyptica". Thankfully there was no jobsworth on the
entrance so we managed to get in no problems.
This band are from Finland . They're rather unusual as they play chellos,
but their music is rather good. One of
the band members has long, blond hair and he was doing a fair bit of moshing -
we thought his hair was going to get caught in the strings of his chello at one
point!
After they had finished, we decided to get some food. I had chosen to skip breakfast so I was
really hungry. My "BIL" and
brother's friend went off to sample the paella and I had a duck burger with hoi
sin onions (yum, yum). That was washed
down with another pint of cider!
After that we split up again. My "BIL" and brother's mate wanted
to go back to the campsite and me and my brother would stay in the arena and we
would all meet up again later at a designated time and place. My brother's mate had wanted to watch a band
on the main stage called Parkway Drive but decided to go back to the campsite
leaving me and my brother to watch them instead.
I'm not really a fan and we got bored sitting on wet grass
so we went for a wander round the stalls.
My brother bought a novelty hat (Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja
Turtles) and I bought a cool Iron Maiden patch!
When we finally re-grouped, we headed over to the Somersby
Bar for more cider. We stood there
chatting and drinking for a bit, then my "BIL" and brother's friend
wanted the loo. Whilst they were gone,
my brother suggested that I should give the slide a go. I was game for it, so off I went. I gave my brother the "thumbs up"
through a window and then tried to figure how to get into the slide. I wasn't planning on going in face first, but
getting in feet first was tricky! I
could get the first leg in, but without anything to hold onto, I couldn't get my
second leg in. In the end, a member of
the bar staff gave me a shoulder to lean on!
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Hahaha! That was a lot of fun!
The highlight of my day was the main stage's support act,
Faith No More, who were due on stage at about 7pm. I'm a huge fan, but the last time I'd seen
these guys was when they had supported Guns and Roses back in 1992!
It was so worth the wait … OMG, they really were that good! I was moshing and singing and generally
getting carried away, whilst getting some odd looks from my brother who I think
was a little embarrassed :D
Speaking of embarrassed…
After Faith No More had finished their set, we headed off
towards the Zippo stage to watch Marilyn Manson who was due on about 9pm. First we needed to refuel. Tonight's offering was a chicken tikka wrap
with mayo and salad (yum).
Unlike the main stage where there is lots of room for people
to spread out, the Zippo stage doesn't seem to have the same luxury. A lot of people wanted to see Manson, so it
got rather cosy very quickly. My anxiety
kicked in and it all got a bit too much, so after he'd played his first song
(Deep Six), I had to get out. Mr
"BIL" agreed to stay with me so that my brother and his friend could
carry on watching, but we had agreed a spot to meet up afterwards.
We settled down next to an ice cream van of all things. We were still able to watch Manson's set
through the scaffolding for raised disabled seating but during the long gaps
between his songs, we could hear Muse on the main stage. My "BIL" wanted to watch them too, and
as I'm not a huge Manson fan, I was happy with that.
We were a bit mindful that the others wouldn't find us if we
moved, but I pointed out that Manson finished before Muse so we could always go
back and they wouldn't be any the wiser ;)
We went off to watch Muse and, when Manson finished, we went
back to our rendezvous point to meet up with my brother and his friend. We 'fessed up to going to watch Muse, and
they were okay with that.
We went to watch some of Muse's set, but my brother's friend
isn't a fan. I managed to hear them play
'Stockholm Syndrome', a favourite of mine, before we decided we'd all had
enough and it was time to head back to the campsite.
Just as well really as that pesky stomach bug I mentioned
earlier had decided to pay me a visit…

No comments:
Post a Comment