As you know, in between stitching I like to Crochet.
This is especially so in the late evening when following a cross-stitch chart is tiring. I find that it can be quite therapeutic and relaxing to do and unlike cross-stitch, mistakes are easier to rectify.
When I first started learning to crochet I used to get lots of books and magazines so that I could teach myself the basics (YouTube is also helpful for this). Back at the start of 2010, a new weekly collection magazine hit the shelves called "The Art of Crochet". Each issue is packed full of fabby patterns and tips, and comes with a ball of yarn (there are eight different colours). The main project is a large throw and each week you get a pattern to make up the throw.
I've only just felt confident enough to start tackling the throw squares.
Naturally, some are easier than others! Getting the tension for each square right is awkward and I've been experimenting with different hook sizes. Sometimes, if I'm unsure about a certain pattern, I'll have a go at making a swatch first.
Here is my attempt at square #18 (an alternative granny square):
This was actually easier than I thought it would be and the finished size is pretty much spot on! (BTW, the colours are not representative of the finished square!)
I've set up a project for this on my Ravelry account and the plan is to post images of the different squares as I do them. Most of the patterns get repeated over the course of the series, so obviously, I shall only upload one of each.
If you're interested in this project, you can follow it HERE.
***
Earlier this month, I talked about a new Crochet book I had bought called "Crochet to Go" and I featured a few pieces I had worked out of the book. I have worked two more motifs (although one went wrong) -- here's the one I got right:
It's called "Rose Octagon"
Another reasonably easy project that I stitched pretty much in one evening, although I don't like how the colour arrangement turned out. I will probably try this one again!
Recently, my fiance's aunty gave me some crochet mats in various geometric shapes (triangles and pentagons). I've seen triangular patterns before but not pentagons. I would love to have a go at making my own (especially at the pentagon) but no patterns were provided with the mats so I will probably have to try and write a pattern using the mat as a template. It doesn't look all that difficult to do, it's just a question of getting the right number of chains for the corners!
I shall keep you posted how I get on with that!
Recently, my fiance's aunty gave me some crochet mats in various geometric shapes (triangles and pentagons). I've seen triangular patterns before but not pentagons. I would love to have a go at making my own (especially at the pentagon) but no patterns were provided with the mats so I will probably have to try and write a pattern using the mat as a template. It doesn't look all that difficult to do, it's just a question of getting the right number of chains for the corners!
I shall keep you posted how I get on with that!
So that's all for now, till next time ... Keep Kalm and cross-stitch! xx
These are all very cute and in lovely colours too! Learning how to crochet is somewhere on the top of my list of things to learn!
ReplyDelete