Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Introducing...EUROPE!!!

Well most of you know what a huge gaming fan I am, but I don’t really talk about my musical preferences much.

Anyone curious enough to scroll through the playlist on my iPod will see what eclectic tastes I have! Heavy metal through to pop music, dance and even videogame soundtracks – it certainly raises eyebrows!!!

My favourite genre is Metal/Hard Rock, and one of my favourite groups is Swedish rockers, Europe, who first burst into the mainstream in 1986 with ‘The Final Countdown’. It made number 1 in the charts in 25 countries (including the UK), and is considered as a bit of a rock anthem!

I’ve been a fan ever since first hearing ‘TFC’ back in 1986, and I’ve followed them religiously until they split in 1992/93. I even went to see them twice in concert, once in 1989 and again in 1992.

No one likes it when their band announces they are splitting up, but thankfully for their fans, Europe got back together first to play a special one off gig for the new millennium, and then in 2003 they announced they were re-forming - with their original line-up (YAY)! Since getting back together they have released three more albums, which in my opinion are better than the albums they did before the split!!!

Their latest album ‘Last Look at Eden’ was released in September last year and for me is the best one they’ve done to date. I remember the first time I heard it I was like ‘OMFG, this is amazing’ – I played it 3 times in a row on the commute to work (it was that good).

Even now, 6 months down the line, it is still one of the few albums on my iPod that is listened to on a regular basis every week, and I will very rarely skip the tracks if they come up on shuffle mode!

When they announced a UK tour, I jumped at the chance to get tickets to go see them again and seeing as they were playing in Manchester there really was no excuse. I bought 4 tickets at a total cost of about £80.00, which is not bad for a concert these days!

The concert review will follow, but for now, here are some websites to mooch at:

Official website:
http://www.europetheband.com/homepage.html

Official blog:
http://europethebandblog.blogspot.com/

Wikipedia page (not always reliable, but worth a read):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_(band)

They also have fan pages on all the major social networking sites (facebook, myspace etc…) but you can Google for those yourselves!!!


Europe then (1986) – big 80’s hair!!!

Europe now (2010) – very sexy 40-something’s…LOL!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment